Sunday, March 18, 2012

Adventures in money savings

  Some times I get these moments of genius. Generally while in the shower as that is the only time I can drown out the sound of children. And I was of all things thinking about laundry soap. I had been using Xtra laundry soap from CVS because it generally was on sale at least once a month for 1.49. And it smells great which is a plus to me. But suddenly the sales dried up and I ran out of my stock pile of 1.49 detergent. I am using up my dry soap. Foca which can be purchased at walmart in my area for a huge bag around 7.00. Smells great,works well but I have to be careful because it sometimes does not break down all the way in cold water. And well I discovered that my cold water intake was not working and that only hot water was pumping in. And since I could see my fun money pumping out of my wallet at the same rate I switched tubes and now only get cold water and that is fine with me. But I digress.

               So any way back to the shower. I was thinking about how I could get Cheap and works well laundry soap that smells good. I purchased a bottle of Awesome (brand name not opinion) form the Dollar Tree and it worked fine but smelled like nothing. So I decided I would check my favorite place for money saving ideas.You tube. Well while looking for ways to fragrance laundry soap I came upon how to make laundry soap. Now I have always had the idea in the back of my mind but normally I had a pile of laundry soap and needed to wait to use it up and well by the time I did I totally forgot about my intended project. So now the stars lined up and I went out to purchase what I needed.

Box of washing soda (note not baking soda look in the laundry isle) 2.99 Walmart
Box of borax                                                                                         2.99 Target ( walmart was more)
Bar of soap (2 cups) Fels Naptha, Zote, Ivory what ever                       .97 walmart (zote for me)


Now the recipe I am going to use calls for

                             1c washing soda
                             1 c borax
                             2 cups grated soap
                             5 gallons water ( 1 gallon boiled to mix the ingredients the rest cold water is fine

I will make it and tell you how it turns out.

                                            xoxo
                                                 la chica frugal


No comments:

Post a Comment